Why Jackson Prep?
Thank you for visiting our website and wanting to learn more about Jackson Prep. The information provided here is only a glimpse of what we do at Prep to help prepare students for the future. We invite you to explore the rest of our website as well to get a better idea of what makes Jackson Prep unique. If you have any questions at all, please feel free to contact Lesley Morton at 601-939-8611, ext. 231, or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHAT WE DO BEST
Jackson Prep sets the standard for secondary school excellence. After all, “preparatory” is in our name – it is what we do best! Jackson Prep passionately pursues one goal: excellence in all that we do. Our students demonstrate it. Our parents support it. Our faculty and staff instill it. Our alumni testify to it. Over the years, this expectation has developed into a tradition unmatched by any other school in the state. Since our students come from a wide variety of backgrounds, it is not surprising that their talents and intellectual strengths are as diverse as their personalities. We value the academic abilities of each student and focus all of our resources on nurturing each of their special interests.
THE PREP FAMILY
Jackson Prep could not boast of our success if it weren't for all of the individuals who make up our student body, faculty and staff, leadership, and alumni.
Our Student Body: Jackson Prep serves grades 6-12. In 2012-13, we admitted students from 21 different elementary schools in the Metro Jackson area. The average class at Prep consists of 17 students.
Our Faculty & Staff: The Jackson Prep faculty and staff are comprised of 91 dedicated and experienced professionals, including 44 who have earned post-graduate degrees. Seven faculty members hold doctoral degrees.
Our Leadership: Jackson Prep is home to the Global Leadership Institute, where a student is encouraged to discover his/her unique personality and giftedness. Leadership skills are cultivated through mentoring programs, seminars, great leaders forums, and various creative activities and opportunities that equip students to pursue lives of service to their communities and beyond. In 2010, Governor Haley Barbour commended the GLI by presenting the Institute with an official Proclamation Affirmation Resolution.
Our Alumni: Jackson Prep boasts over 5000 alumni – many of whom live in Mississippi and contribute to Prep's future.
EXCELLENCE IN ACADEMICS
- Christian Studies – students may choose this program that focuses on the intellectual foundations of Christianity
- Classical Heritage – students may choose this program that focuses on the literature, languages, and cultures of ancient Greece and Rome
- 537 National Merit Semifinalists since 1970
- 16 Presidential Scholars
- 1 Rhodes Scholar and 1 Truman Scholar
2010 Average ACT Composite Scores
- Prep 25.3
- Nationwide 21.1
- Mississippi 18.7
- The Class of 2012 was offered scholarships totaling $6.7 million and accepted $2.9 million in merit-based scholarships.
- Seventy-one percent of the Class of 2012 received merit-based scholarships.
- Twenty-seven percent of the Class of 2012 qualified for the Mississippi Eminent Scholars Grant.
- The Class of 2012 had a 100% matriculation rate to 4-year colleges and universities.
Recent Accomplishments at Math and Science Tournaments:
- MS School for Math and Science Tournament – First Place, 10 out of 10 years
- MS College Math and Science Tournament – First Place, 10 out of 11 years
- Mu Alpha Theta Convention – Top 2, 9 out of 10 years
- Physics Bowl Competition – Regional Recognition, 3 years
- Intel/Siemens Individual Student Competition – 3 Finalists
- U.S. Physics Team Qualifier – Semifinalists, Quarterfinalists, 5 years
EXCELLENCE IN FINE ARTS
- Visual arts, band, choir, and drama departments
- Award-winning senior high and junior high showchoirs
- Applause – parent-organized fine arts booster club committed to promoting, enhancing, and celebrating the arts
EXCELLENCE IN ATHLETICS
Tradition. Excellence. Leadership. Jackson Prep Athletics builds individual leaders through team-centered goals and endeavors. Below are just a few of Prep's accomplishments in athletics.
- 8 state championships in 2011-2012
- 227 total state championships
- Over 200 alumni have played or are playing college sports
- Annual mission trips to Guatemala and El Salvador by varsity basketball teams
- Winner of the MAIS All-Sports Trophy for 17 of the last 18 years
- Winner of MAIS Secondary Swim Meet for 39 consecutive years
- 1 alumnus is only Mississippian ever to win a world championship in swimming
- 30 consecutive playoff appearances and 19 state championships in football
EXCELLENCE IN SERVICE
The Jackson Prep Community Service Program exists to cultivate young leaders with a desire to serve. Although community service is not required by students at Jackson Prep, the number of students who wish to give back to their communities is astounding. Many of our students have been recognized for their service.
- 12 Presidential Volunteer Service Award Recipients (at least 100 hours in one year)
- 1 Goodwill Volunteer Youth Honoree of the Year for 2012
- 2 Students Named Flowood "Student of the Year" for 2012-13
Jackson Preparatory School admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, tuition assistance and athletic and school-administered programs