Since 2000, when Jackson Prep developed a comprehensive master plan, the school has completed work on many elements that have helped shape our current identity, including the addition of the Guyton Science Center, Dining Commons, and Patriot Avenue, as well as renovations or updates in many of our buildings and athletic facilities. These investments have continued to provide an environment that is more conducive to educational and co-curricular excellence than ever before.
In 2010, we renewed our passion to remain the premier college preparatory school in Mississippi by undertaking a comprehensive strategic planning initiative designed to empower us to continue as the distinctive leader in college preparation in these changing times. The theme that emerged from this process will now stand as our campaign slogan for the next step as we achieve the realization of our dreams by:
“Transforming Prep – Celebrating Arts and Leadership”
Through this campaign, we honor our commitment to Prep’s tradition of excellence by securing the funds for the final phase of our master plan, which focuses on a renovated and expanded Centre for Arts and Leadership, along with other campus improvements.
Jackson Prep’s Centre for Arts and Leadership will transform the school’s ability to meet the ever-growing needs of our students as they prepare to become the leaders of tomorrow. Through this campaign, we invite all of our constituents to collaborate with us in our leadership role of challenging students toward academic, athletic, and artistic excellence.
I invite you to review our plans for the future, and it is my hope that you will prayerfully consider the importance of our mission and the leadership opportunities that lie ahead. I look forward to your partnership in our mission, and, through your prayers, encouragement, and support, we are certain to succeed.
Please join us in support of this ambitious undertaking as we transform Prep for decades to come.
Susan R. Lindsay
Head of School
Vision and Growth
In 2000, Jackson Prep created a Master Plan to address functional and aesthetic priorities on the Prep campus and to affect positive long-term growth. The intent was to ensure that Jackson Prep offered a robust educational experience in academics, athletics, and the fine arts.
In 2003, the Bold Vision, Enduring Values campaign kicked off with a primary focus of adding science facilities, updating the HVAC systems, and upgrading classrooms in both the Junior and Senior High buildings. The McRae Fine Arts and Media Center underwent minor renovations.
In 2007, Jackson Prep took the next step in the Master Plan by embarking on the Investing in Excellence capital campaign. This phase of the Master Plan focused on the completion of the Dining Commons project and visual improvements to the campus that included landscaping and the creation of Patriot Avenue. In addition, there were upgrades to athletic facilities, technology, and campus security.
Planning for the Future
Jackson Prep is transforming its future by securing the capital funds to complete as many elements of Prep’s Master Plan as possible. The Centre for Arts and Leadership will be the focal point of the next phase, which includes the addition of a state-of-the-art auditorium and the conversion of the current auditorium into a multi-use venue for the Global Leadership Institute and other programs. The Global Leadership Institute and other initiatives to develop leaders at Jackson Prep are crucial to the growth of our students, Mississippi’s future leaders.
This focus on leadership goes hand in hand with a renewed spotlight on our fine arts program, which has the following goals:
- Provide cutting-edge facilities for our fine arts program
- Become the independent school leader for fine arts in the Southeast
- Increase education and outreach to current students, future students, and the community through the fine arts program
The Global Leadership Institute is accomplishing the following objectives:
- Integrating our leadership initiative with all aspects of school life
- Ensuring strong student leadership within the school
- Positioning Jackson Prep as the premier school in the Southeast for developing leaders
The Centre for Arts and Leadership
Located along Patriot Avenue, the Centre will be a truly efficient multi-use facility at the heart of our campus. Renovations will update the exterior of our older buildings to match the beauty of the new structures and provide a focal entry point to Patriot Avenue.
NEW AUDITORIUM IMPROVEMENTS:
- 51% larger stage and 136% larger wing space
- Stage fly system for performances and set changes
- Centrally located and larger dressing rooms/restrooms behind the stage
- New storage areas for set design, instrument storage, set construction, scene shop work, and A/V equipment
- Improved lighting and acoustics
- New sound system
- Sound stage at floor level to hear what the audience hears
- Art gallery space
- Contemporary padded seating
- Food preparation area and concessions
- Improved accessibility with expanded handicap parking
- Larger orchestra pit
- Left and right stage access and exits
- New restroom facilities
RENOVATED FACILITY IMPROVEMENTS:
- Home of the Global Leadership Institute (GLI) Forum, a mid-sized meeting facility for assemblies, performances, and other educational opportunities
- Space for The Patriot Shop
- Live broadcasts of auditorium events in GLI Forum
- New ticket booth
- New conference area, storage facilities, and office space
- New practice rooms
- Event space for lectures, forums, productions, recitals, and other activities
- Seating for 1,000 and flexible, multi-use space throughout to benefit Jackson Prep students and provide a facility for competitions, leadership forums, and events reaching the Jackson community and beyond
Master Plan Goals
While the Centre for Arts and Leadership is the primary focus of the campaign, Jackson Prep will also secure as many funds as possible to support the following initiatives and capital needs:
Artistic and Leadership Excellence: $5.2M
- The Centre for Arts & Leadership
Academic Excellence: $690K
- Improve technology for the 21st Century School
- Renovate Senior High classrooms (4)
- Renovate the Senior High counseling office
- Build a new outdoor classroom & art kiln area
Athletic Excellence: $749K
- Build a new west side restroom, concession & changing area
- Upgrade the Athletic Complex entrance
- Renovate the student locker rooms in Manning Center & gym
- Replace the press box
- New & enhanced plaza, walkways & landscaping
Inspire Excellence: $605K
- Build a campus entrance to Patriot Avenue & the Centre for Arts and Leadership
- Upgrade the facade at the back of the Senior High & McRae Center to match the Centre & Dining Commons
- Enhance the Junior High & Senior High entrances
- Complete exterior upgrade to building under the stadium
Total Master Plan Goals: $7.24M
Ways to Give
Selecting the best gift plan depends on one’s personal financial situation and goals. As tax laws are always changing and each individual’s situation is unique, donors are encouraged to consult with financial advisors to determine which method of contributing is most beneficial.
There are many ways of giving so that you are able to meet your needs and have the opportunity to support Prep in a meaningful way. Pledges are commitments made in good faith, but are not legally binding. Constituents may want to consider stretching pledges over a five-year period to maximize the total amount of their support.
This commitment can be fulfilled through monthly, quarterly, semiannual, or annual installments. We encourage all donors to consider a 10-20 percent initial payment to begin their commitment.
Gifts made by cash or check are the most common and will allow Prep to address its immediate needs. Checks should be made payable to Jackson Preparatory School Foundation, Inc. However, while the needs of the capital campaign are urgent, we will gratefully accept gifts in various forms, including the following:
Gifts of Securities – Stocks, Bonds and Mutual Funds
Charitable gifts of stocks, bonds, or mutual funds that have been held for at least one year and have appreciated offer special tax advantages. You will receive a tax deduction for the full market value of the gift, but you will not have to pay capital gains tax on the appreciated amount. If you sell depreciated stock and contribute the proceeds, you will receive both a tax deduction for the charitable gift and a deduction for the capital loss.
Gifts of Real Estate
Donations of appreciated homes and other real property are entitled to an income tax deduction equal to the full value of the property and no tax on the capital gain. If debt-free property is donated, the gift is deductible at the property’s appraised value. It may even be possible to make your gift of property now but still maintain the right to use the property. By making this gift now, rather than in your will, you can realize an immediate income tax deduction.
Tangible personal property can be given to support Prep. These gifts may be eligible for a deduction of the item’s fair market value if the gift is related to the “charitable purpose” of the school. All personal property gifts must be approved by Prep.
Corporate Matching Gifts
A matching gift program provided through your employer or board membership may allow you to increase the value of your gift. Many companies match charitable gifts made by their employees, retirees, or board members.
Deferred or Planned Gifts
Deferred gifts help insure Prep’s future. A deferred gift through an estate plan or life income gift offers you the ability to support Prep but retain the income from those assets during your lifetime.
Will or Revocable “Living” Trust
A bequest contained in a person’s will or revocable “living” trust is the most common form of planned gift.
Charitable Remainder Trust
This gift allows you to irrevocably place cash, securities, or other property but keep a specified income for life. This can be done by an annuity trust or unitrust.
Gifts of Life Insurance
Jackson Prep can be named as primary or contingent beneficiary of a life insurance policy. Life insurance gifts are simple; just ask the insurance company for the appropriate forms to make Jackson Prep the owner or beneficiary of a policy. Gifts of a policy are tax deductible, as are future premium payments.
Gifts of Retirement Plans
Naming Prep as a primary or contingent beneficiary of a retirement plan (i.e., IRA, 401(k)) can benefit both Prep and your estate. Your retirement account’s plan administrator can help you designate Prep as a beneficiary.
This information is not intended as legal advice. You are advised to consult your own qualified professional advisor for specific recommendations.