2013-2014 Back To School Information will be posted after July 15.
Click the link below for the requirements for School Year 2013-14 summer reading:
8th grade College Prep
9th grade College Prep
9th grade Honors
10th Grade College Prep
10th Grade Honors
11th Grade College Prep
AP Language & Composition
12th Grade College Prep
AP English Literature
WHY DO WE HAVE TO DO SUMMER READING?
- In 1978, the Prep English faculty recognized the need to encourage Prep students to read purposefully during the summer as part of the academic mission of the school and instituted the summer reading program.
- Every study done on raising PSAT, SAT, and ACT scores indicates that students who are well read score better than their peers who do not read or read non-challenging material.
- Readers develop the ability to use their imaginations and problem solve creatively—the hallmark of a humanities based education and the foundation of “American ingenuity”.
- Good readers make better writers. Students who read quality literature are exposed to vocabulary and sentence structures which become part of their own writing experience.
HOW DO THE FACULTY CHOOSE THE BOOKS AND THE ASSIGNMENTS?
- The books are chosen for each grade level by the grade level teachers who match the reading competency of students with the competency demanded by the books.
- The books are chosen to reflect a theme and/or focus the teachers will use during the year.
- Teachers attempt to choose quality literature which will provide students with examples of good writing and a compelling story. Books may change every year or so to reflect changes in interest and themes.